Thursday evening, Miruna and Ruxi pick up Helene from the Henri Coanda Airport in Bucharest.
Everyone is hungry so our first stop is the Vivo Food Bar in the city.
On our way to drop off Ruxi, we stop by the Palace of the Parliament which is the world’s largest civilian building with an administrative function.
At the time of Romanian Revolution which overthrew communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu, in December 1989, the Palace of the Parliament was completely finished on the outside and inside had most of its rooms finished.
Helene and Miruna then went to the old city center (Lipscani) where they walked around the old streets.
They visit the beautiful Carousel of Light Library in the heart of the old city.
The evening was ended in a bar called “The Drunken Lords” where there was live music performed by a band.
The second day, Helene and Miruna visited their nice colleagues from the Romanian office. They met Mami and Zeus, two beautiful tomcats adopted by the team.
Our visit continued to the Village Museum, an open-air ethnographic museum located in the Herastrau Park showcasing traditional Romanian village life. The museum extends to over 100,000 m2, and contains 272 authentic peasant farms and houses from all over Romania. It was created in 1936 by Dimitrie Gusti, Victor Ion Popa, and Henri H. Stahl.
After a long walk in the museum, we met Ruxi for lunch at Caru’ cu bere. We tried traditional Romanian food such as sărmăluțe cu mămăliguță or papanași. The Caru’ cu Bere (aka Carul cu Bere; “the beer wagon”) is a bar and restaurant on Stavropoleos Street in the Lipscani district of Bucharest, Romania, opened in 1879 and moved to the current location, a gothic revival building designed by Austrian architect Siegfrid Kofczinsky, in 1899. It is noted for its interior decoration, in art nouveau style.
Next to the restaurant, we visit the Stavropoleos Monastery, an Eastern Orthodox monastery for nuns.. Its church is built in Brâncovenesc style. The patrons of the church (the saints to whom the church is dedicated) are St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel. The name Stavropoleos is a Romanian rendition of a Greek word, Stauropolis, meaning “The city of the Cross”. One of the monastery’s constant interests is Byzantine music, expressed through its choir and the largest collection of Byzantine music books in Romania.
In the evening we went to Journey Pub where we met Wendla and Matei.
Saturday, Helene and Miruna went to Tîntava, a village near Bucharest where Miruna’s family has a home.
Afterwards, we went for lunch at the Spanish restaurant called “La Rambla” where we enjoyed some delicious dishes.
We ended the evening in the beautiful Salon Golescu where we met Matei (Tudor’s brother), Radu, Denisa, Dan, Alma, Ruxi and Gerhard.
We met Ruxi and Gerhard for a an ecler at French Revolution (oh-la-la!).
Then, we visited the Romanian Athenaeum, a concert hall in the center of Bucharest, Romania and a landmark of the Romanian capital city. Opened in 1888, the ornate, domed, circular building is the city’s main concert hall and home of the “George Enescu” Philharmonic and of the George Enescu annual international music festival.
Miruna had to fly to Vienna and Helene spent the next couple of hours with Miruna’s parents. They visited the Museum of the Romanian peasant, with a collection of textiles (especiallycostumes), icons, ceramics, and other artifacts of Romanian peasant life. One of Europe’s leading museums of popular arts and traditions, it was designated “European Museum of the Year” for 1996.
They had lunch at Mamma Leone, a restaurant serving fish specialites in the centre of Bucharest.
That was it! It was wonderful having you!